Sunday, April 23, 2017

Obligatory “What I Played In…” Post Part XXI: March 2017

So we are on to another month and that means another post with my previous month’s gameplays!  This past month we did pretty good nearly hitting 60 plays and had 25 different games played.  We are trucking along in our 10x10 challenge and look forward to see how it will look in the next couple of months as we will be getting in Too Many Bones.  Here’s what our 10x10 looks like after March’s plays.

10x10 Challenge:
Arkham Horror: The Card Game (0 plays in March, 1 total play for 2017)
Cottage Garden (2 plays in March, 3 total plays for 2017)
Five Tribes (0 plays in March, 2 total plays for 2017)
Gloomhaven (0 plays in March, 0 total plays for 2017)
Great Western Trail (0 plays in March, 3 total plays for 2017)
Pathfinder Adventure Card Game (2 plays in March, 9 total plays for 2017)
Ticket to Ride (2 plays in March, 8 total plays for 2017)
Tokaido (0 plays in March, 0 total plays for 2017)
Too Many Bones (0 plays in March, 0 total plays for 2017)
Unfair (4 plays in March, 4 total plays for 2017)

There we go…we’re realy starting to truck along in our plays for the 10x10 challenge and I fully expect us to hit the mark by the end of the year!  Well then, let’s move on to our statistics for the month of March and see how they look.

Statistics:
Total plays in March 2017 – 59
Total unique games played in March 2017 – 26
New games played in March 2017 – 6
New games acquired in March 2017 – 2
New expansions acquired in March 2017 – N/A
Most plays of a single game in March 2017 – 8


Designer – Matt Leacock
Publisher – Z-Man Games
New to me
First play – 3/21/17
Total plays in March 2017 – 8

Okay, so technically I had never played the original base game of Pandemic until this past month.  I’ve played Pandemic Legacy: Season 1, Pandemic Iberia and Pandemic: Reign of Cthulhu but not the original.  Now I have the game on my tablet and have played it a bunch and it is just a wonderful co-operative, set-collection game that will also be a classic in my opinion.


Designer – Klaus Miltenberger
Publisher – HABA
Last play before March 2017 – 1/31/16
Total plays in March 2017 – 5

Our daughter had lost the die to this game over a year ago thus making it difficult to play.  I suppose we could have used another die but it wouldn’t have been the same.  We contacted HABA and they sent us a replacement which was awesome!  Thus, Em and I were able to get in a bunch of this game this month and it is just a great stacking game!


Designer – Bruno Cathala/Charles Chevallier
Publisher – IELLO
New to me
First play – 3/7/17
Total plays in March 2017 – 5

We picked this game up when we went to Fort Wayne to play games for my birthday.  I had been eyeing it for some time and think the art is absolutely beautiful.  On the plus side the game is also a really good card drafting and set collection game!  Em and I have had a bunch of fun with this one.


Designer – Christopher Badell/Paul Bender/Adam Rebottaro
Publisher – Greater Than Games/Sentinel Comics
Last play before March 2017 – 5/5/16
Total plays in March 2017 – 5

It had been WAY too long since I had played a round of this fantastic card game.  This is actually one of my favorite games but it can be a bit of a pain to pull out and play.  I finally picked up the app version of the game and got a bunch of expansions for it and it has been awesome!  This just reaffirms my love of the game and I can’t wait for the OblivAeon expansion!


Designer – Joel Finch
Publisher – Good Games Publishing/CMON Limited
New to me
First play – 3/9/17
Total plays in March 2017 – 4

We just received this game from a Kickstarter campaign that ran last year right around Gen Con.  This is a wonderful set-collection, card-drafting, and somewhat take-that card game that includes an awesome theme and wonderful art!  I look forward to even more plays of this one and really want to get some more players involved.


Designer – Carl Chudyk
Publisher – Stronghold Games
Last play before March 2017 – 12/31/16
Total plays in March 2017 – 3

Em and I pulled out this short and fun push-your-luck and “tile-laying” card game by the wonderful Chudyk and played a few rounds this past weekend.  This is one of those great games to just play a bunch of times in a row in between larger games.


Designer – Carl Chudyk/Chris Cieslik
Publisher – Asmadi Games
Last play before March 2017 – 2/13/17
Total plays in March 2017 – 3

We got to break out this fabulous little card game for a couple of rounds in between games this past month and as usual had a great time.  This is one of the best small deck card games I’ve ever played.  It is such a simple premise but the game itself is simple and great.  This will always be one of our most played games.


Designer – Maxime Rambourg
Publisher – IELLO
Last play before March 2017 – 8/6/16
Total plays in March 2017 – 2

We broke this out with Molly and Dustin this past month and proceeded to get our butts handed to us twice!  I love this game and consider it to be one of my favorite co-operative deck building games.  It is thematic, the art is great, and the game it hard but entertaining.  I’d highly recommend it to anyone who is a fan of a magical theme, co-operative games, and deck building games.


Designer – Uwe Rosenberg
Publisher – Edition Spielwiese
Last play before March 2017 – 2/21/17
Total plays in March 2017 – 2

We pulled this fun tile-laying/tile-drafting game out in March and played a couple of rounds of it.  This is a fun game that we really enjoying pulling out and playing a couple of times in a row.  We always find ourselves playing multiple rounds of this game when we break it out because it is so quick and fun!


Designer – Uwe Rosenberg
Publisher – Z-Man Games
Last play before March 2017 – 2/5/17
Total plays in March 2017 – 2

I was able to play two games of this fantastic worker placement and tile laying/pattern building game by the amazing Rosenberg.  I played the first game with Em and she schooled me hard.  The second game was against my buddy Josh as I was teaching him the game.  This game is definitely one of my favorite releases from 2016.


Designer – Jessey Wright
Publisher – Level 99 Games
New to me
First play – 3/1/17
Total plays in March 2017 – 2

This little micro-game came along with the Kickstarter to Millennium Blades: Set Rotation so Em and I pulled it out and played it a couple of times.  It is a decent game for being such a small amount of cards but I don’t think either of us would search it out or it would be our filler of choice.


Designer – Chris Cieslik
Publisher – Asmadi Games
Last play before March 2017 – 2/25/17
Total plays in March 2017 – 2

Em and I got in a play of this fun little rogue-like card game and I also did a solo playthrough.  My solo play didn’t go well but Em and I were able to push through the dragon’s cave and defeat him in the end with her warrior and my mage.  I really dig the design of this game and am really looking forward to the Kickstarter for the expansion when it goes live.


Designer – Mike Selinker/Chad Brown/Tanis O’Connor/Paul Peterson/Gaby Weidling
Publisher – Paizo Publishing
Last play before March 2017 – 2/21/17
Total plays in March 2017 – 2

We broke out this game in March and played the first couple of scenarios in the final (Spires of Xin-Shalast) adventure deck and were able to win although barely.  We are almost done with this base set which means we can move on to the Skull & Shackles base set.


Designer – Alan R. Moon
Publisher – Days of Wonder
Last play before March 2017 – 2/2/17
Total plays in March 2017 – 2

Em and I took a day and played a couple of our maps this past month as we like to do on occasion.  We played the Heart of Africa map and the Nederland map.  I won the first and Em won the second.  This is still one of our favorite games and I don’t really see that changing anytime soon with the awesome amount of variety in the different maps that we have.


Designer – Isaac Vega
Publisher – Plaid Hat Games
Last play before March 2017 – 2/7/17
Total plays in March 2017 – 1

Josh and I pulled out Ashes this past month and played a round.  I grabbed Jessa and he took Brennen and we had a pretty awesome match.  I had him down to just a couple health left but wasn’t quite able to finish the job as I really had no more direct damage left with Jessa.  Man do I love this game and can’t wait to see the new expansions with the new dice!


Designer – Uwe Rosenberg
Publisher – Rio Grande Games/Amigo Spiele
Last play before March 2017 – 1/22/17
Total plays in March 2017 – 1

The guys (Josh, Tim and Dustin) and I went out to Fort Wayne and had some dinner and played some games for my birthday this past month and we found ourselves at Steak ‘n Shake and playing a hand of this incredible card game.  I love everything about this game and don’t think anything would ever make me tired of it!  Plus, I won…bonus!


Designer – Vangelis Bagiartakis
Publisher – Alderac Entertainment Group
Last play before March 2017 – 9/16/16
Total plays in March 2017 – 1

Em and I felt like playing a dice rolling game so we came up with this wonderful game.  I love the dice rolling and placement of this game as you buy up new buildings and make your city even cooler.  I ended up getting a really sweet combo going on with one of the expansion buildings and took that to the win…although barely!


Designer – Friedemann Friese
Publisher – Stronghold Games/2F-Spiele
Last play before March 2017 – 2/4/17
Total plays in March 2017 – 1

Em and I have already played through this fun game once together and decided to break it out with Molly and Dustin.  So, now we’ve started our second playthrough and both of them really enjoyed the first game of it!  I have found it to feel completely different with four players as opposed to two and think that it is great that it does!


Designer – Nathaniel Levan
Publisher – Greater Than Games/Dice Hate Me
Last play before March 2017 – 9/7/16
Total plays in March 2017 – 1

I really felt like a good, quick worker placement game one day so we pulled out New Bedford and set it up.  I really like this game, especially when you add in the expansion and get the added variety from it.  I really want to break this game out a little more and enjoy the simple but fun gameplay and really good art/components!


Designer – Alexander Pfister
Publisher – Pegasus Spiele
Last play before March 2017 – 2/25/17
Total plays in March 2017 – 1

This is a game that I really think I could break out anytime and have a great time!  We have only played it a couple of times but I really enjoy it!  This is just another awesome game by the fantastic Pfister and has just proven to me that I need to try everything he puts out there.  I really want to get the expansion which just adds more variety and ways to play the game!  Plus, there is a new expansion coming out that will add some campaign play to the mix!  Alexander is a genius…the end!


Designer – Isaias Vallejo
Publisher – Daily Magic Games
Last play before March 2017 – 2/23/17
Total plays in March 2017 – 1

This game was shipped to us in February and this was our second play of it.  These Valeria games by Vallejo and crew have really made me notice Daily Magic Games and I am at a point now that I’ll at least look at everything that they do seriously as they are doing some awesome things there.  I look forward to whatever his next Valeria game will be as I think it will be another hit!


Designer – Keith Matejka
Publisher – Thunderworks Games
Last play before March 2017 – 11/24/16
Total plays in March 2017 – 1

This game is just an amazing dice-drafting and dice-placement game that only gets better with each plays.  I broke this out with the guys during our “outing” this past month and they all loved it!  I am really looking forward to the expansion that Keith states he’s planning on doing sometime this year.  Bring on more Roll Player!


Designer – Jamey Stegmaier
Publisher – Stonemaier Games
New to me
First play – 3/18/17
Total plays in March 2017 – 1

I went over to Josh’s house one night this past month and he taught me this uber-popular game.  Area control isn’t really my favorite game mechanism but this game was very good.  I can see why people really like it although it isn’t going to break into my favorite game’s list any time soon.  That being said I’d play this pretty much anytime and enjoy it!


Designer – Isaias Vallejo
Publisher – Daily Magic Games
Last play before March 2017 – 7/27/16
Total plays in March 2017 – 1

Em and I decided to teach this to Josh one day when we were looking for good games to play.  I figured that he’d really like it.  I was right!  He ended up going out and picking up a copy right after playing with us as he liked it that much.  This is such a great card and dice game that I’d pull out with anyone as it is that simple and fun!


Designer – Patrick Leder/David Somerville
Publisher – Leder Games
New to me
First play – 3/18/17
Total plays in March 2017 – 1

Okay, now this game was an eye opener.  The previous night we had played Scythe and then I got to try this one out the very next day!  This game is right up my alley.  I enjoyed every single moment of the asymmetrical gameplay as the game came down to the very last turn and each one of us could have won on that turn…I just happened to be first up!  I can’t wait to try it again and maybe as a different character.


Designer – Uwe Rosenberg
Publisher – Amigo Spiele
Last play before March 2017 – 2/13/17
Total plays in March 2017 – 1

Oh yeah!  We not only got to play the card game, Bohnanza, this month, but also the dice game, Würfel Bohnanza!  This dice rolling game is one of the best fillers that I can think of out there.  I still don’t understand how it doesn’t have an English printing because I think that so many people are missing out on the simple and super-fun, dice-rolling game!

New game acquisitions in March 2017:
Kanagawa
Unfair

New expansion acquisitions in March 2017:
N/A


Well, there you have it, I’ve made it through another month of gaming and it was awesome!  I look forward to a couple of games that we should be getting pretty soon which will hopefully make their way onto this list in the next month.  Keep an eye out as I’ll be finishing up my “End of 2016” series with the games that I’m most interested in from 2017 that I haven’t yet played.  Until next time, game on!

No comments:

Post a Comment