Sunday, August 6, 2017

Obligatory “What I Played In…” Post Part XXV: July 2017

Yay for another month of gaming!  I have really come to enjoy these monthly posts on the games that we’ve played over the past month because I’m really able to see the games that we’re getting to the table and what we thought of them.  We had another great month of playing games and were able to get some new ones to the table, one of which we’ll definitely pick up at some point!  Okay, before getting into the meat of the post here are the stats for our 10x10 challenge for the year.

10x10 Challenge:
Arkham Horror: The Card Game (1 play in July, 2 total plays for 2017)
Cottage Garden (2 plays in July, 7 total plays for 2017)
Five Tribes (0 play in July, 3 total plays for 2017)
Gloomhaven (2 plays in July, 9 total plays for 2017)
Great Western Trail (0 plays in July, 6 total plays for 2017)
Pathfinder Adventure Card Game (0 plays in June, 9 total plays for 2017)
Ticket to Ride (0 plays in July, 13 total plays for 2017)
Tokaido (2 plays in July, 4 total plays for 2017)
Too Many Bones (0 plays in July, 10 total plays for 2017)
Unfair (0 plays in July, 5 total plays for 2017)

Alright, there are our 10x10 stats for July.  We are trucking along and I really don’t think we’ll have any problems hitting the goals for these 10 games.  I am actually enjoying doing this challenge as it gets us to think about pulling out games we really like but sometimes pass over due to other, newer games in our collection.  I think we’ll probably do this every year as we’re enjoying it.  Okay, I think that’s enough preamble, let’s move on to the games we played in July.

Statistics:
Total plays in July 2017 – 43
Total unique games played in July 2017 – 25
New games played in July 2017 – 5
New games acquired in July – N/A
New expansions acquired in July 2017 – N/A
Most plays of a single game in July – 6



Designer – Christopher Badell/Paul Bender/Adam Rebottaro
Publisher – Greater Than Games/Sentinel Comics
Last play before July 2017 – 5/23/17
Total plays in July 2017 – 6

Woot!  I got in a bunch of solo plays of this game this past month and enjoyed every second of it.  I love how each of the character decks are so different and that the challenge of each boss is so different.  This will probably remain in my top 10 list for a long time, especially with the OblivAeon expansion coming out this fall/winter!



Designer – Régis Bonnessée
Publisher – Libellud/Asmodee
New to me
First play – 7/16/17
Total plays in July 2017 – 5

Our buddy Josh picked this game up at a FLGS this past month and brought it over for us to try.  We fell in love!  Bonnessée is already a favorite of ours as he created one of our favorite games of all times, Seasons.  Because of his prior design work we were excited to check out this game and it didn’t disappoint.  This game is now on our must buy list but we’re good for now as it is local for us to play!



Designer – Justin Blaske
Publisher – Five24 Labs
Last play before July 2017 – 2/25/17
Total plays in July 2017 – 4

I broke this small, fun game out this past month a few times and played it solo.  He included four different AI characters that you can play and they are really fun!  I am quite enjoying the puzzle that this small game presents as a solitaire play!



Designer – Uwe Rosenberg
Publisher – Edition Spielwiese
Last play before July 2017 – 5/22/17
Total plays in July 2017 – 2

Em and I decided to work on our 10x10 challenge a little and pulled out this fun tile-laying game and got in a couple of plays.  We split the difference with Em crushing me once and me just barely edging her out the other time.



Designer – Isaac Childres
Publisher – Cephalofair Games
Last play before July 2017 – 6/29/17
Total plays in July 2017 – 2

Another of our 10x10 plays is for this incredible game.  This is a game that we don’t even have to bother to think about for the challenge as we are basically playing it 2-3 times a month with Josh and Dustin joining us.  This game is great and there is really nothing else that needs to be said about that!



Designer – Michał Jagodziński
Publisher – Board&Dice
New to me
First play – 7/16/17
Total plays in July 2017 – 2

Josh picked up this smart little hand management game along with a Kickstarter for another one.  I really liked this game.  It is super small with a tiny footprint but really has some very smart decisions that have to be made during the play.  I will try to pick this one up myself eventually.



Designer – Kuro
Publisher – Osprey Games/Manifest Destiny
Last play before July 2017 – 1/26/17
Total plays in July 2017 – 2

Em and I picked this one up this past month knowing that all we had left was to win with the final rules which is the hardest difficulty.  We played one round and were not even close as we lost in the very first round!  We decided to reshuffle and try again and we were able to win on the hardest difficulty!  This is such a smart game and just makes me want to try more by the designer.



Designer – Manuel Correia
Publisher – Board&Dice
New to me
First play – 7/23/17
Total plays in July 2017 – 2

This is a “micro” deck-builder that is actually quite clever!  The game has obstacles which you have to purchase or avoid and makes them go into your deck while everything you play goes back into the obstacle deck.  I really enjoyed the clever mechanisms in this game and if I found it at the right price I’d totally get a copy!



Designer – Antoine Bauza
Publisher – Funforge
Last play before July 2017 – 4/18/17
Total plays in July 2017 – 2

We picked up this fun, zen-like game and played it a couple of times this past month (which also gets us plays for our 10x10!) and it was a blast!  I love how simple this game is but with the Crossroads expansion really gives you some meaningful decisions to make.  I’d play this with anyone as it is so simple and fun to play!



Designer – Ryan Laukat
Publisher – Red Raven Games
Last play before July 2017 – 4/16/16
Total plays in July 2017 – 1

We played this one this past month and were able to teach it to Molly and Dustin.  They both enjoyed the play of this fun Euro-style, storytelling game.  Doing this list made me realize it had been over a year since we played it and that has to change as we really like this one!



Designer – Nate French/Matthew Newman
Publisher – Fantasy Flight Games
Last play before July 2017 – 1/10/17
Total plays in July 2017 – 1

Woo hoo!  I’m so happy that we finally got this game back to the table!  This is a game that I think could really roll its way up my favorite games list.  Sadly, we haven’t played it a whole lot as I am not totally convinced that my wife digs it.  I think she enjoyed this play a lot more so I’m excited to see what the next one brings!



Designer – Michael Kiesling/Wolfgang Kramer
Publisher – R&R Games/eggertspiele
Last play before July 2017 – 6/27/16
Total plays in July 2017 – 1

Em and I brought out this fantastic worker placement game and had a good round of it!  This is simply one of the most elegant games that we own and I absolutely love every time I get to play it.  This time Em played a great game and was able to beat me although I stormed up from behind and only lost by a few points!



Designer – Kane Klenko
Publisher – Renegade Game Studios
Last play before July 2017 – 6/10/17
Total plays in July 2017 – 1

We played a game of Flatline this past month and it was a total blast.  This game it just an amazing co-operative, dice placement where each player rolls there dice and everyone works together and against the clock in order to triage patients.  We love this game and it will stay in our collection for a very long time.



Designer – Vital Lacerda
Publisher – Eagle-Gryphon Games
Last play before July 2017 – 4/6/17
Total plays in July 2017 – 1

I had a night where Em was away with a friend so I pulled out this game to play a solo round and see how I’d do.  I ended up doing really well as I completed all of the goals to win on a master level!  I quite enjoy the puzzle of this game’s solitaire mode.



Designer – Kalle Malmioja
Publisher – Renegade Game Studios/Lautapelit.fi
Last play before July 2017 – 6/20/17
Total plays in July 2017 – 1

Em and I were looking for a quick play game to kill some time before dinner one night so we grabbed this quick playing, tile laying game.  This is such a wonderfully designed and fun-to-play game and I’m glad I picked it up for our collection.  This is just another game to affirm my love of Renegade Game Studios and that they are currently one of the best game companies in the market!



Designer – Adam Carlson/Josh Carlson
Publisher – Chip Theory Games
New to me
First play – 7/21/17
Total plays in July 2017 – 1

So Josh picked up the whole collection of Hoplomachus from Chip Theory Games and we pulled it out and learned it by playing the cooperative version against the titans.  This is another great game by the guys at CTG and we had an absolute ball playing it!  This probably won’t beat out Too Many Bones for my favorite game by them but this game will climb up my list with subsequent plays.



Designer – Bruno Cathala/Charles Chevallier
Publisher – IELLO
Last play before July 2017 – 4/22/17
Total plays in July 2017 – 1

Em and I needed a quick game to fill in a little time before bed one night so we decided to pull out this fun and quick little card drafting and set collection game.  This game is still and ton of fun and I am looking forward to teaching it to others.



Designer – Gil Hova
Publisher – Formal Ferret Games
Last play before July 2017 – 8/5/16
Total plays in July 2017 – 1

Molly and Dustin came over to plays some games last month and we decided to pull out The Networks and they loved it!  This game is such an awesome idea as you get to draft shows, stars and ads in order to create your network television station.  I’m glad we got to try it out with them and we had a blast!



Designer – Nigel Pyne
Publisher – maverick muse
Last play before July 2017 – 2/25/17
Total plays in July 2017 – 1

Em and I were able to go out on a date where we went out and saw Spiderman: Homecoming and then went out for dinner.  We took this with us and played a round as we were waiting for dinner and Em kicked my butt!



Designer – Isaias Vallejo
Publisher – Daily Magic Games
Last play before July 2017 – 4/15/17
Total plays in July 2017 – 1

I decided one day to have a Valeria-day where I pulled out all of the games in the series and played solo rounds of them.  These games all have solid solo variants and I enjoyed playing them.  I am still looking forward to the next game I assume Isaias will design in the series!



Designer – Richard Wilkins
Publisher – Victory Point games
New to me
First play – 7/29/17
Total plays in July 2017 – 1

This is a new game that hasn’t yet been published but is currently making its run on Kickstarter.  They have the game up on Tabletopia so I decided to try it out and boy am I glad I did!  This game is absolutely great and “Ricky Royal” has made quite the experience.  I am looking forward to the physical release of this game.



Designer – Régis Bonnessée
Publisher – Libellud/Asmodee
Last play before July 2017 – 5/22/16
Total plays in July 2017 – 1

Em and I pulled out this incredible game (for now it is still #1 on my top 10!) and got in a play of it.  Wow do I every love this game!  I still think that this is just one of those designs that was made for me because it ticks all the stuff I love!  This was an amazing play and Em ended up pulling out the win but just barely!



Designer – Isaias Vallejo
Publisher – Daily Magic Games
Last play before July 2017 – 4/15/17
Total plays in July 2017 – 1

Here is another play of one of the Valeria games for my day of this series!  This is actually the only one of the three games that I hadn’t tried solo and I really enjoyed it!  These games are all great and as I stated before, I can’t wait to see what he does next in the series!



Designer – Isaias Vallejo/Rick Holzgrafe
Publisher – Daily Magic Games
Last play before July 2017 – 5/25/17
Total plays in July 2017 – 1

And here is the final game from the Valeria series that I decided to tackle all in one day of an epic solo playthrough of the series!  This is such a good game.  I love playing this game with others, but it plays so very well solo that it is nice to be able to pull out every once in a while even when I don’t have other players.



Designer – Hisashi Hayashi
Publisher – Tasty Minstrel Games/OKAZU Brand
Last play before July 2017 – 5/29/17
Total plays in July 2017 – 1

We had a chance to pull this game out and play a round with our buddy Josh this past month.  This game is quickly moving up my list of favorite games as I think it is just a brilliant design.  I love the resource management and the way that you need to move your president during your turn.  This is a game that I will always keep on my shelves!

New game acquisitions in July 2017:
N/A

New expansion acquisitions in June 2017:
N/A

Well, there you go!  Another wonderful month of game’s played in the books and another one coming up!  I am really looking forward to my next post in this series as I should have a fair chunk of new games to talk about as I’ll be going to Gen Con for the first time!  I am really looking forward to it as it will be the first ever boardgame convention I’ve ever been to.  Speaking of the convention, keep an eye on my blog as I’ll be starting up my Gen Con 2017 series very shortly and will go over so very many games over the 6 or so posts.  Alright, I think that is a wrap for the month of July.  Thanks so much for reading and I hope you all enjoyed. Until next time, game on!

No comments:

Post a Comment