Thursday, November 16, 2017

Obligatory “What I Played In…” Post Part XXVIII: October 2017

Woot!  Now that I’ve finished up with my Essen Spiel series I can move on to our gameplays from the month of October.  We’ve officially moved into our new house and finally finished unpacking which means that we have more time and a new/bigger space for gaming!  Even with the craziness of the move and packing we still were able to get in 55 plays for the month!  We were also able to get some games in for our 10x10 challenge thus getting us closer to completing it!  Okay, enough of that, let’s move on to the 10x10 stats which we’ll follow up with the month’s statistics and then the breakdown of the games we played.  Alright, enough of the preamble, let’s move on to the post!

10x10 Challenge:
Arkham Horror: The Card Game (0 plays in October, 6 total plays for 2017)
Cottage Garden (2 plays in October, 10 total plays for 2017)
Five Tribes (0 plays in October, 6 total plays for 2017)
Gloomhaven (1 play in October, 13 total plays for 2017)
Great Western Trail (1 play in October, 7 total plays for 2017)
Pathfinder Adventure Card Game (0 plays in October, 11 total plays for 2017)
Ticket to Ride (0 plays in October, 15 total plays for 2017)
Tokaido (3 plays in October, 8 total plays for 2017)
Too Many Bones (0 plays in October, 13 total plays for 2017)
Unfair (1 play in October, 9 total plays for 2017)

Yeah buddy!  We’re trucking along with our 10x10 plays and shouldn’t have any problems finishing up the challenge by the end of the year!  So let’s move on to the statistics and the breakdown of the different games we played this month.  I hope you enjoy!

Statistics:
Total plays in October 2017 – 55
Total unique games played in October 2017 – 31
New games played in October 2017 – 5
New games acquired in October 2017 – 1
New expansions acquired in October 2017 – 3
Most plays of a single game in October 2017 – 7



Designer – Matt Leacock
Publisher – Z-Man Games
Last play before October 2017 – 8/6/17
Total plays in October 2017 – 7

I got the opportunity to break this game out a bunch this past month.  I taught it to Josh on one occasion and to Zach and Steph on another occasion.  Everyone who I taught really enjoyed the game and are looking forward to trying it again.  Zach, Steph and I were able to win after five plays!



Designer – Adam Poots
Publisher – Kingdom Death
New to me
First play – 10/20/17
Total plays in October 2017 – 6

Josh got his copy of this game in October and we broke it out and took it for a spin after he got the first models built.  This game is huge, that I can say with no problems!  I didn’t go in for the Kickstarter but I am glad I’ve been able to play.  The game is actually quite fun.  The monster battles aren’t even my favorite part; that would be the settlement phase after the fights.  I enjoy the game and look forward to being able to play it again.



Designer – Hisashi Hayashi
Publisher – Tasty Minstrel Games
Last play before October 2017 – 8/25/17
Total plays in October 2017 – 5

We broke this game out a bunch of times this past month in an effort to win!  Em and I played the game twice and were able to win one of those games.  Then I taught the game to Zach and Steph and we were able to win after three separate plays.  This game is just a quick, fun co-operative game and I’d suggest it to anyone looking for a Hanabi-style game.



Designer – David Moffat
Publisher – David Moffat Enterprises
Last play before October 2017 - Unknown
Total plays in October 2017 – 3

Wow, this game was a flashback!  I had played this game over 20 years ago at a camp and we found a copy for super cheap about three years ago.  I don’t know that we ever played the copy we own but I brought it one day and taught it to Zach and Steph.  I forgot how much fun this simple and quick pig-rolling game could be.



Designer – Keith Baker
Publisher – Renegade Game Studios
New to me
First play – 10/23/17
Total plays in October 2017 – 3

We picked this game up in October due to the IP.  The Scott Pilgrim graphic novels are some of mine and Em’s favorite reads.  We gave our daughter the middle name of Knives after a character in the books.  This game is a fun and interesting deck builder as there are a couple of phases and the cards are all double sided.  Great art and a fun game!



Designer – Antoine Bauza
Publisher – Funforge
Last play before October 2017 – 8/11/17
Total plays in October 2017 – 3

We played this game a few times in October.  One of the plays we were able to do with our buddies Josh and Ruthie.  They had fun with the game.  We also played the game twice one night and split the wins.  This game still continues to be a favorite when we break it out and we’re almost done with the 10x10 plays of it!



Designer – Uwe Rosenberg
Publisher – Amigo Spiele
Last play before October 2017 – 6/16/17
Total plays in October 2017 – 2

I taught this game to Steph and Zach this past month and they really enjoyed it!  They are really getting the hang of the different games their learning and they really seemed to enjoy this one.  I still love Bohnanza and it will probably remain as one of my favorite “straight” card games!



Designer – Uwe Rosenberg
Publisher – Edition Spielwiese
Last play before October 2017 – 8/28/17
Total plays in October 2017 – 2

Em and I played this quick, fun tile-laying game a couple times one night in October and had a blast.  This isn’t my favorite tile-laying game but it is very quick and super chill.  Em and I like playing this one when we just want to make pretty gardens without much interaction.



Designer – Isaias Vallejo
Publisher – Daily Magic Games
Last play before October 2017 – 7/7/17
Total plays in October 2017 – 2

I pulled this one out a couple times this past month.  Em and I played it once at a breakfast date where I was just barely able to edge out the game.  Then I taught Steph and Zach the game and they picked it up quickly and enjoyed the play.  Steph was barely able to win in her first play!



Designer – Phil Walker-Harding
Publisher – Lookout Games/Mayfair Games
Last play before October 2017 – 6/26/17
Total plays in October 2017 – 1

Josh and I pulled this game out one gamenight where we finished some stuff early and had a little time.  I quickly taught him this game and he was able to beat me in the play.  He really enjoyed this one as I figured he would.



Designer – Robin Lees/Steve Mackenzie
Publisher – Z-Man Games
Last play before October 2017 – 10/6/17
Total plays in October 2017 – 1

Josh and I played this game during a gamenight this past month.  Josh has had a copy for a little while and I’ve had it since the beginning of the year and so I taught him how to play.  I love this game and how it adds some cool stuff to the Hanabi model.



Designer – Klaus-Jürgen Wrede
Publisher – Z-Man Games
Last play before October 2017 – 9/22/16
Total plays in October 2017 – 1

Em and I brought this game with us one morning when we took our daughter to the playground.  While she ran around and had fun we set up this game on a picnic table and had a blast.  This is still an outstanding tile-laying game and we always have fun with it.



Designer – Emerson Matsuuchi
Publisher – Plan B Games
Last play before October 2017 – 9/11/17
Total plays in October 2017 – 1

Em and I had a breakfast date and pulled out this fabulous game there.  I think that this is the perfect “cube-pusher” for us right now.  I love a good resource management and hand management game and this one combines the two perfectly!



Designer – Rikki Tahta
Publisher – Indie Boards & Cards
Last play before October 2017 – 6/13/16
Total plays in October 2017 – 1

Em and I decided to pull this game out when our buddies Josh and Ruthie were over for a game night and teach them.  We hadn’t played this game in quite some time but I still love how quick and simple the game is and how much fun the meta-game can be.



Designer – Richard Launius/Kevin Wilson
Publisher – Fantasy Flight Games
Last play before October 2017 – 10/8/16
Total plays in October 2017 – 1

I pulled this game out and taught it to Zach and Steph this past month and they had a blast!  This is just a fun dice-rolling game with the awesome (in my opinion) Cthulhu/Lovecraftian-horror theme.  This is always a fun game and I’m glad they enjoyed it!



Designer – Uwe Rosenberg
Publisher – Z-Man Games
Last play before October 2017 – 3/11/17
Total plays in October 2017 – 1

We wanted to play a good, meaty Euro-game one night so we decided to pull out this great worker-placement game.  Em and I felt a little rusty as we hadn’t played in a while but we ended up doing fairly well in our scores.  I did end up just edging out the win!



Designer – Alexey Konnov/Alexey Paltsev/Anatoliy Shklyarov
Publisher – Brain Games
Last play before October 2017 – 9/23/17
Total plays in October 2017 – 1

This is one of our go-to games when we have 5-10 minutes and so we played one round of it at a breakfast date.  This is such a simple game but it doesn’t outstay its welcome and thus makes it fun while we play it.



Designer – Isaac Childres
Publisher – Cephalofair Games
Last play before October 2017 – 9/21/17
Total plays in October 2017 – 1

We were able to get in one game of Gloomhaven this past month which isn’t enough!  We finished up a side quest that we’ve been working on for about 4-5 games and it was great!  I can’t wait to get this game back to the table.



Designer – Alexander Pfister
Publisher – Stronghold Games/eggertspiele
Last play before October 2017 – 6/30/17
Total plays in October 2017 – 1

Oh man do I ever love this game!  This is becoming one of my very favorite games as I just love all of the different mechanisms that he added into the game!  Em and I played it and she was able to beat me but just 5 points.  Looking forward to my next play!



Designer – Kalle Malmioja
Publisher – Renegade Game Studios/Lautapelit.fi
Last play before October 2017 – 7/3/17
Total plays in October 2017 – 1

Josh and I had some time after playing some longer stuff during a gamenight so I taught him this fun tile-laying and card-drafting game.  He ended up pulling out the win just barely and really enjoyed the play.  This is a game I need to get to the table more often.



Designer – Alexander Huemer
Publisher – Capstone Games
New to me
First play – 10/6/17
Total plays in October 2017 – 1

Josh picked this game up and Gen Con this year and wanted to try it out so I went over one night and we played.  This is a solid action selection game that relies on a time track that is much like a rondell.  The game is crunchy and quite fun.  I’d play again if asked.



Designer – Ryan Laukat
Publisher – Red Raven Games
Last play before October 2017 – 9/19/17
Total plays in October 2017 – 1

Em and I continued our plays of the character mode in this game and we tied in score but I won the tie-breaker.  This is such a fun game and we are really enjoying our playthroughs.  I think we’re going to start playing the story mode with some friends pretty soon and we’re looking forward to it.



Designer – Nathaniel Levan
Publisher – Greater Than Games/Dice Hate Me
Last play before October 2017 – 3/23/17
Total plays in October 2017 – 1

I pulled this game out and taught it to Zach and Steph and they really enjoyed it.  I love this worker placement game.  It is cool that you are able to buy buildings and create more action spaces which in turn can gain that player more money if others go there.  I really wanted to try this one with five players.



Designer – Uwe Rosenberg
Publisher – Lookout Games/Mayfair Games
Last play before October 2017 – 2/13/17
Total plays in October 2017 – 1

We took Baby Knives to the park early last month and while she played on the equipment we brought this game to play.  This is still one of my favorite two-player-only games and I was able to just pull out the win during this play.



Designer – Alexander Pfister
Publisher – Pegasus Spiele
Last play before October 2017 – 9/5/17
Total plays in October 2017 – 1

I pulled this game out one night and taught it to Zach and Steph.  As usual, they really enjoyed it!  This is just another game that cements the fact that Pfister is one of my favorite designers.  With this game he created a fantastic push-your-luck, set-collection game!



Designer – J. Arthur Ellis
Publisher – Plaid Hat Games
New to me
First play – 10/13/17
Total plays in October 2017 – 1

Josh pulled this game out one night and taught me.  This is a thematic prequel to Dead of Winter and is a co-operative game.  We played really well and were able to win on standard level.  This game was fun and I’d play again if asked.



Designer – Daryl Andrews/Adrian Adamescu
Publisher – Floodgate Games
New to me
First play – 10/13/17
Total plays in October 2017 – 1

We had a little time after we played Raxxon one night so Josh pulled this one out and taught me.  I absolutely adore dice-drafting and placement as a game mechanism so I knew I’d like this one.  This is a quick and simple-to-learn game that I would love to pick up at some point.



Designer – R. Eric Reuss
Publisher – Greater Than Games/Fabled Nexus
Last play before October 2017 – 9/17/17
Total plays in October 2017 – 1

This game is amazing!  Every time I play the game I love it even more.  This time Josh and I played and I pulled out the spirit I had wanted to try, Bringer of Dreams and Nightmares.  We were able to win the round and it was awesome!  We are getting to a point where we are consistently able to win on the low levels of difficulty so I think we’re gonna bump it up from now on!



Designer – Scott Almes
Publisher – Gamelyn Games
Last play before October 2017 – 8/20/17
Total plays in October 2017 – 1

Em and I are really starting to enjoy this game.  Our first play of the game was fun but we didn’t quite get the strategy on that one.  Now we are starting to understand the ways to play and really having a fun time.  I love this as a push-your-luck, adventure game.  Plus, it is beautiful which is a plus!



Designer – Joel Finch
Publisher – Good Games Publishing/CMON
Last play before October 2017 – 9/15/17
Total plays in October 2017 – 1

We picked this game up one night and taught it to Molly and Dustin.  This is a wonderful card-drafting and tableau-building game that simulates building a theme park.  I love the art and theme as well as the gameplay.  They both enjoyed the game and want to try it again.  Em pulled off the win by a measly five points!



Designer – Uwe Rosenberg
Publisher – Amigo Spiele
Last play before October 2017 – 8/18/17
Total plays in October 2017 – 1

Em and I played this game once in October and I pulled out a win.  I have been on a quite a streak in this great, quick dice-rolling game.  This will always be one of our best trades as we got rid of a game we never played and have gotten in over 40 plays of this one.

New game acquisitions in October 2017:

New expansion acquisitions in October 2017:

Well there you have it!  Another month of great games played in the books and another one currently going on!  We’ve already played some great games in November so I can’t wait to take a look and see how we’re doing in the 10x10 challenge then.  I’ll be starting my year end posts either at the end of December or beginning of January so keep an eye out for them.  Thanks so much for reading and I hope you enjoyed!  Until next time, game on!

No comments:

Post a Comment