Monday, December 11, 2017

Obligatory “What I Played In…” Post Part XXIX: November 2017

Alright!  Another great month of gaming in the books!  This past month was really good for plays and I was able to log 82 total plays which makes this month my highest for the year!  It also put us just a little over 60 plays to reach 2000 total since I’ve started logging my stats!  Sadly we only got in 6 plays of our 10x10 challenge but that just means we’ll have to go a little harder this month to complete it.  I think next year I’ll go to a 20x5 (20 different games played at least 5 times during the year) because it fits our lifestyle a little better.  Speaking of 10x10 stats, here they are for November of 2017.

10x10 Challenge:
Arkham Horror: The Card Game (0 plays in November, 6 total plays for 2017)
Cottage Garden (0 plays in November, 10 total plays for 2017)
Five Tribes (2 plays in November, 8 total plays for 2017)
Gloomhaven (1 play in November, 14 total plays for 2017)
Great Western Trail (1 play in November, 8 total plays for 2017)
Pathfinder Adventure Card Game (0 plays in November, 11 total plays for 2017)
Ticket to Ride (2 plays in November, 17 total plays for 2017)
Tokaido (0 plays in November, 8 total plays for 2017)
Too Many Bones (0 plays in November, 13 total plays for 2017)
Unfair (0 plays in November, 9 total plays for 2017)

Well, there you have it!  Now that these items are all out of the way I can move on to the games that we played this past month.  So many good games were played and I’m looking forward to compiling them all here!  Thanks for reading and enjoy!

Statistics:
Total plays in November 2017 – 82
Total unique games played in November 2017 – 34
New games played in November 2017 – 2
New games acquired in November 2017 – N/A
New expansions acquired in November 2017 – N/A
Most plays of a single game in November 2017 –13


Designer – Rikki Tahta
Publisher – Indie Boards & Cards
Last play before November 2017 – 10/7/17
Total plays in November 2017 – 13

I was about to teach Steph and Zach this fun filler this past month and we had a ton of fun playing it!  This game continues to be a go-to when we have a little time to pull out a quick game where we just want some fast fun.  Steph and Zach really dug it!


Designer – Christopher Badell/Paul Bender/Adam Rebottaro
Publisher – Greater Than Games/Sentinel Comics
Last play before November 2017 – 7/11/17
Total plays in November 2017 – 12

I got in a bunch of solo plays of this fantastic card game this past month and it was awesome!  This game continues to be one of my favorites and I love how different each deck is!  This would be a tough one to beat for my favorite superhero game!


Designer – Klaus Miltenberger
Publisher – HABA
Last play before November 2017 – 3/26/17
Total plays in November 2017 – 8

Em and I pulled this game out one night when Zach and Steph were coming over for games and dessert to open the night.  This is just a fun stacking game and one of those perfect starter or filler games for when you have a little time.


Designer – Alexey Konnov/Alexey Paltsev/Anatolity Shklyarov
Publisher – Brain Games
Last play before November 2017 – 10/2/17
Total plays in November 2017 – 7

This is another game I was able to teach Steph and Zach this past month and it is always a quick and fun card game.  This is just one of those games where it is easy to put up and teach and just simple fun to play.


Designer – David Moffat
Publisher – Dave Moffat Enterprises
Last play before November 2017 – 10/25/17
Total plays in November 2017 – 5

So we pulled this quick “pig-rolling” game this past month and played it a few times.  I’ve found that this is a quick game I can take anywhere and anyone can learn it within a turn.  Who doesn’t love chucking some pigs?


Designer – Michael Kiesling/Wolfgang Kramer
Publisher – HABA
Last play before November 2017 – 4/21/17
Total plays in November 2017 – 3

We pulled this game out this past month and played a couple of the scenarios.  We really enjoyed these plays.  I then taught the game to Zach and Steph and they really enjoyed it as well.  This is an elegant and fun game with simple rules.


Designer – Seiji Kanai
Publisher – Alderac Entertainment Group
Last play before November 2017 – 7/9/16
Total plays in November 2017 – 3

I pulled this game out and taught it to Steph.  We had a few really good plays and she was able to win on the final one!  This is just a solid and fun filler game that every gamer should own for those times they have a couple players and a few minutes!


Designer – Bruno Cathala
Publisher – Days of Wonder
Last play before November 2017 – 9/24/17
Total plays in November 2017 – 2

Em and I continued to truck through our 10x10 plays for the year and got in a couple plays of this fantastic game this past month.  This is just a great game and we enjoy every play we get of it.


Designer – Kane Klenko
Publisher – Renegade Game Studios
Last play before November 2017 – 4/15/17
Total plays in November – 2

It had been quite a while since Em and I had played this game and we pulled out it to play a couple quick rounds this past month.  This is a wonderfully quick and hectic co-operative, dice-drafting game that can be just as mean as it is fun.


Designer – Chris Cieslik
Publisher – Asmadi Games
Last play before November 2017 – 4/11/17
Total plays in November 2017 – 2

I pulled this out to solo play a couple of times this past month and man did I ever get my butt handed to me!  This is just a solid and fun little dungeon crawler that can be super difficult when only playing at one player.  Regardless though, it is fun and who doesn’t love chucking some dice right?


Designer – Alan R. Moon
Publisher – Days of Wonder
Last play before November 2017 – 9/24/17
Total plays in November 2017 – 2

Em and I pulled this out and taught it to some friends this past month.  We taught Josh on the Pennsylvania map and taught Steph and Zach with the base game.  They all really enjoyed it!  Yay for spreading the love of this “gateway game” to others!


Designer – Antoine Bauza/Bruno Cathala
Publisher – Repos Production/Asmodee
Last play before November 2017 – 5/2/17
Total plays in November 2017 – 1

Em and I pulled this one out at a breakfast date this past month and played a really good round where I just edged out the win by 5 points.  This continues to be one of my favorite 2-player-only games as it is just so well balanced and fun to play!


Designer – Maxime Rambourg
Publisher – IELLO
Last play before November 2017 – 3/19/17
Total plays in November 2017 – 1

I taught this one to Steph and Zach this past month and this may have been one of their favorites that I showed them.  This is a great deck building game and feels much like a Harry Potter film while you’re playing through it. I look forward to my next play!


Designer – Prospero Hall
Publisher – Big G Creative
New to me
First play – 11/4/17
Total plays in November 2017 – 1

Josh brought this game over one afternoon when we were looking for something to play.  This game was actually quite fun.  The game is simple to learn and is a race to the end.  There are some slight problems but that doesn’t change that the game is fun, quick, and has a great theme.


Designer – Stefan Feld
Publisher – alea/Ravensburger
New to me
First play – 11/19/17
Total plays in November 2017 – 1

This is another game that Josh brought over this month and we learned.  This was quite a fun game and actually our first Feld game.  I’m glad that we got to try this one out and I would totally buy it if Josh didn’t already own a copy.


Designer – Paul Dennen
Publisher – Renegade Game Studios
Last play before November 2017 – 9/4/17
Total plays in November 2017 – 1

We got in a four player game of this one this past month and it was awesome!  The more I get a chance to play this game the more I like it.  I love the mash-up of the deck-building with the board element…it makes for a super-entertaining game!


Designer – Kane Klenko
Publisher – Renegade Game Studios
Last play before November 2017 – 8/6/17
Total plays in November 2017 – 1

We broke this great real-time, co-operative game out and taught it to Zach and Steph and we proceeded to get our butts handed to us.  This is one of my favorite real-time co-ops as it is a ton of fun and really stressful to boot!


Designer – Isaac Childres
Publisher – Cephalofair
Last play before November 2017 – 10/5/17
Total plays in November 2017 – 1

Yay for Gloomhaven night!  We’ve had at least one every month since Em and I got the game.  We played a new quest and were able to roll pretty easily through the mission as Josh got a new character and made great use of him!  Can’t wait till the next play!


Designer – Alexander Pfister
Publisher – Stronghold Games/eggertspiele
Last play before November 2017 – 10/8/17
Total plays in November 2017 – 1

Woot!  Any month where we get in a play of this fantastic game is good with me!  This is going to be one of my top 10 when I revisit the list soon and I think it is for good reason.  I wasn’t quite able to beat Em but man was it ever close!


Designer – Fabien Riffaud/Juan Rodriguez
Publisher – CMON Limited
Last play before November 2017 – 1/21/17
Total plays in November 2017 – 1

I taught this game to Steph and Zach this past month and we played it on easy level.  We were able to win by the skin of our teeth but it was a great round!  This is just a solid co-operative, card game and I enjoy every play of it.


Designer – Diego Ibañez
Publisher – Devir
Last play before November 2017 – 12/11/16
Total plays in November 2017 – 1

Em and I pulled this game out for a breakfast date one morning and played a round.  This is a good two-player only worker placement and set-collection game that works really well and is a quick, enjoyable experience.


Designer – David Harding
Publisher – Grail Games/EmperorS4
Last play before November 2017 – 10/27/16
Total plays in November 2017 – 1

Em and I were able to play this fun two-player deduction game this past month during a breakfast date and I was able to just barely pull off the win.  This is a fun game with quick play.


Designer – Hisashi Hayashi
Publisher – Tasty Minstrel Games
Last play before November 2017 – 10/31/17
Total plays in November 2017 – 1

Em and I had a couple minutes one day and decided to see if we could win a round of this great little co-operative card game and we did!  We were able to make it through to the end and win with some good endgame plays.


Designer – Chuck D. Yager/Matt Leacock
Publisher – Z-Man Games
Last play before November 2017 – 11/13/16
Total plays in November 2017 – 1

I broke this game out one night and taught it to Zach and Steph.  This is such a fun version of Pandemic and always a good time.  We were able to close the gates and keep the town safe, but just barely.  I will probably teach them Pandemic Iberia soon!


Designer – Hisashi Hayashi
Publisher – Gamewright
Last play before November 2017 – 11/18/16
Total plays in November 2017 – 1

We had some time to play a quick game after a gamenight with Josh this past month so we pulled this one out.  This is a great little roll-and-write game that is super quick to teach, learn and play.


Designer – Adrian Adamescu/Daryl Andrews
Publisher – Floodgate Games
Last play before November 2017 – 10/13/17
Total plays in November 2017 – 1

Josh brought this game over this past month along with some other ones we hadn’t tried yet and we played a round.  Em hadn’t tried it yet and she really likes it!  This is a super-fun and quick dice-drafting game that everyone seems to enjoy!


Designer – Keith Baker
Publisher – Renegade Games Studio
Last play before November 2017 – 10/25/17
Total plays in November 2017 – 1

I taught this game to Steph and Zach and they really enjoyed the play.  This is an interesting deck-building card game with the theme of Scott Pilgrim pasted lovingly all over it!  Since I enjoy and (interesting) deck-builder and love the comic I was all over this game!


Designer – Corey Konieczka
Publisher – Fantasy Flight Games
Last play before November 2017 – 4/20/16
Total plays in November 2017 – 1

I pulled out this game to teach it to Zach and Steph this past month but we were unfortunately unable to complete the play.  This did remind me, however, how much fun (and tough) this game is!


Designer – Scott Almes
Publisher – Gamelyn Games
Last play before November 2017 – 10/2/17
Total plays in November 2017 – 1

Em and I played this fun push-your-luck game this past month and I was able to squeak out a win.  This is such an amazing game with some of the most beautiful art I’ve seen in a while.


Designer – Adam Carlson/Josh Carlson
Publisher – Chip Theory Games
Last play before November 2017 – 9/23/17
Total plays in November 2017 – 1

Mwa ha ha ha…I am the lock-picking master!  We played this game again this past month and I pulled out a really cool win!  I adore Chip Theory Games and am really looking forward to what their next project will be!


Designer – Jason Harner/Matthew Ransom
Publisher – Brotherwise Games
Last play before November 2017 – 9/15/17
Total plays in November 2017 – 1

Josh and I played some games with some guys that he met at a game day this past month and this was one of them.  This is such a solid dice rolling and placement game with a cool tile element added in.  I think I really dig this game because it can be completely cutthroat and rolling low numbers won’t kill you!


Designer – Isaias Vallejo
Publisher – Daily Magic Games
Last play before November 2017 – 7/7/17
Total plays in November 2017 – 1

Em and I decided to pick up and play this game this past month along with Steph and Zach and they really enjoyed it.  If you’re a fan a Machi Koro then you should do yourself a favor and check this one out!


Designer – Adam West/Dan Schnake/Abe Schnake
Publisher – CrossCut Games
Last play before November 2017 – 12/11/16
Total plays in November 2017 – 1

I had an itch to play this game this past month so Em and I brought it out and played it during a breakfast date.  I wish this game was better known as I think it is such a good card/dice game with really cool combos that exist.  I am really looking forward to the impending expansion.


Designer – Uwe Rosenberg
Publisher – Amigo Spiele
Last play before November 2017 – 10/23/17
Total plays in November 2017 – 1

Em and I played this game before we had to leave a coffee house this past month and I was able to continue my hot streak in the game!  This is just a quick and fun Yahtzee-style dice chucker and I really enjoy it!

New game acquisitions in November 2017:
N/A

New expansion acquisitions in November 2017:
N/A

Well, there you have it!  Another sweet month of gaming and many more to come!  This was a great month for gaming even though there weren’t many new games or purchases.  These next couple of months should be interesting as I will be getting many new games for Christmas.  Well, I think that is a wrap for this post.  Thanks so much for reading!  Until next time, game on!

No comments:

Post a Comment